Search Legislation

Contact Us

Legislation Enquiries, Legal Research, Interpretation & Advice

We do not make legislation and are unable to provide legal advice on the interpretation of any legislation available on this website or advise on administrative matters. We also do not undertake research on behalf of users.

We would recommend that you contact the government department responsible for the legislation you are enquiring about or visit The Citizen's Advice Bureau which offers free information and advice about legislation and legal matters. Please see the Help with legislation and How can I access legislation that isn’t available on sections of our Help pages. The GOV.UK website also provides a wealth of information on a variety of subjects which may assist with these types of enquiries.

Visa Appeals – Please do not submit visa appeals to us. If you were referred to in relation to a visa application, it was to refer you to the grounds that you can submit an appeal on, not to submit the appeal itself. You can find information and contact details regarding the appeal process in the Citizenship section of the GOV.UK website.

Website Enquiries & Feedback

Our role is to publish the enacted and revised versions of legislation, in print and online, and we can assist website users with queries related to these activities – please email: with your enquiry and a member of our team will respond to you as soon as possible. For enquiries regarding the purchase of printed legislation or other official publications please see section regarding Purchasing Legislation further down this page.

We welcome user feedback, whether positive and negative, on the website and use this to further refine and develop our service. Please use the following link if you wish to comment on the service, report a problem, suggest a future enhancement or contact the “webmaster” – Feedback.

Please note that we can only assist with English language enquiries.

Making an enquiry by Post

Postal enquires should be sent to the Legislation Services Team at The National Archives, Kew, Richmond Surrey TW9 4DU.

Making a Freedom of Information request to The National Archives

This website is delivered by The National Archives. Freedom of Information requests can be made using The National Archives Freedom of Information enquiry form. Enquiries regarding Freedom of Information and Data Protection legislation should be directed to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) helpline on 0303 123 1113 or 01625 545745 or visit

Requesting Records held in The National Archives

If your query relates to something that you think might be held in the records of The National Archives, then you should submit a request choosing "General Enquiries" as the subject on the following web page -

Photocopies of local non-print Statutory Instruments from 1922 to 2006 can be ordered from The National Archives by using the online contact form stating that you would like a copy of a local statutory instrument held in repository reference TS37.

Requests for local non-print Statutory Instruments not yet deposited in the repository (i.e. post 2006 SIs) and not available on the website should be emailed to:

Purchasing Legislation 

Printed copies of enacted legislation can be purchased from our contracted legislation publisher The Stationery Office Limited (TSO) whose contact details are:

The Stationery Office Limited, PO Box 29, Norwich, NR3 1GN

Phone: +44 (0)333 202 5070Fax: +44 (0)333 202 5080


Printed copies of revised legislation are normally only available through specialist legal publishers.